Using Mindfulness Techniques to Treat Chronic Pain and Reduce Opioid Use
In this study, we will teach participants mindfulness techniques to help them cope with chronic lower back pain. You must be at least 18 years of age with a diagnosis of lower back pain and taking a prescription opioid medication to participate. Those who choose to enroll will participate in 4 weeks of group therapy (30 minutes per week) group sessions led by a masters-level therapist and prescribed daily at-home mindfulness practice. Participants will be evaluated using interviews and surveys before, after, and during the group therapy intervention.
For more information contact:
Who can participate?
Age: Over 18 years old
Volunteers: Volunteers with special conditions
Location: In Person
- At least 18 years of age
- Current chronic low back pain condition determined by physician assessment
- Reporting pain 3 on 0-10 scale with opioid medication
- Long-term opioid use (>3 months)
- Formal mindfulness training (e.g., MBSR/MBRP)
- Current cancer diagnosis
- Psychosis, suicidality, or moderate/severe substance use disorder in the past year
Will I be paid for my time?